About the job
You’ll be joining Benoît in the infrastructure team to help scale our production systems and our release workflow. You will:
- design and build systems where infrastructure knowledge is useful (control planes, network agents…). Due to the nature of our product, infrastructure at Sifflet is not just a support role: you will directly contribute to features of our product.
- improve on our current server infrastructure (we’re still at the beginning, there’s a lot to build).
- keep improving on our release pipeline: from developer tooling to continuous integration and production monitoring, we need to ensure that we keep delivering software at a high pace.
- ensure that our security standards are applied everywhere, and improve upon them.
- maintain our Terraform modules and Helm charts.
- investigate the occasional production incident. We have very few of those right now, and part of this job is ensuring it stays that way.
This is a key moment to join Sifflet, as we’re still a small team with a lot of room to grow: you’ll have a major impact in the development of our product and the underlying architecture. And since we’re an early stage startup, your job a few months from now will probably be very different.
- Kubernetes (mainly AWS EKS clusters, with some GCP deployments too)
- infrastructure as code with Terraform, applications deployed with Helm
- applications written either in Python or (modern) Java, to tap into the huge data ecosystem offered by these languages.
- MySQL (running on AWS RDS) for databases
- frontend written in Typescript + VueJS
- and a few supporting services: Gitlab CI, Prometheus/Loki/Grafana…
There are a few unique aspects about our stack:
- applications have direct access to customer databases, so security is extremely important, and we will invest more than the typical startup in this domain
- we use a single-tenant architecture (one separate infrastructure stack per customer), which means automating infrastructure is key to velocity
- we already run machine learning models (ML) in production for anomaly detection, and we’ll have to support more ML-based applications in the future
A few projects you could be working on:
- a new database proxy (either at the network layer, or the application layer)
- a control plane that dynamically creates and updates cloud infrastructure for new customers
- tooling to easily visualize and optimize infrastructure costs (each customer has different requirements here)
- a service to provide developers and ML engineers with on-demand testing environments, with already-configured integrations to a wide range of data warehouses
- 0-3 years of experience either in a SRE/infrastructure role, or as a backend developer (if you want to transition into infrastructure). This position is open to recent graduates from engineering schools (or equivalent), we’re happy to mentor you!
- general infrastructure knowledge around some of these topics: Kubernetes, databases (we use MySQL internally, but our product integrates with a lot of different technologies), networking, cloud services… You don’t have to know everything upfront of course, you’ll pick up what you need on the job.
- willingness to learn Python and Java if you don’t already know these languages. Most of infrastructure-related code will be in Python, but you’ll sometimes need to dive in our Java-based services (Sprint Boot).
- you value ownership of your projects from design to production.
We are building the world’s best data observability platform to help companies excel at data-driven decision making.
Today half of a data team’s time is spent troubleshooting data quality issues, Sifflet is putting an end to that. Our solution allows data engineers and data consumers to visualize how data flows between their services, define data quality checks, and quickly find the root cause of any data anomaly.
Companies such as Datadog and New Relic have improved the productivity of infrastructure teams tenfold. Our goal is to bring the same benefits to data teams. In a few years, every data-driven company will be using a data observability solution, and we want to be the best solution on the market (and of course, we have plans to go well beyond simple “data observability”).
We are backed by tier 1 investors and work with customers all across the globe. Our number of clients is growing steadily, and we need to expand our team!
Are we the company you’re looking for?
- We have offices in Paris, but we’re very remote friendly - several team members are fully remote.
- We offer competitive salary and company equity.
- We have experts on many topics, so there’s always someone to help. We also have weekly tech talks where everyone can discuss a cool project or technology.
- We work on diverse projects, and we’re fast at building things. You’ll be exposed to a wide breadth of topics, and some cool tech (ML pipelines, parsers for a lot of SQL dialects, self-healing single-tenant Kubernetes clusters…).
- We’re building a genuinely great product, and we think you’ll love the team!